Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Spitzer Out

Despite the precedent set by Larry Craig (R ID) and David Vitter (R LA) and Bill Clinton (D), Elliot Spitzer has decided to resign.

On principle, I don't think it was mandatory. Other people have stayed in office despite similar charges, and historically sexual impropriety has not been an indicator of poor [EDIT: policy] judgement.

I don't think it's sad at all though. The media distraction this would have created would have been a serious impediment to governing. More important to my mind is the amazing hypocrisy. Spitzer actively prosecuted prostitutes and pimps as a DA. If sex workers deserve to be put in jail because prostitution is bad, then so do their clients, at the very least they should lose their position as Governor. His behavior basically says "the rules don't apply to me because I'm rich and powerful" and THAT should never be the case.

Obviously Mr. Spitzer doesn't have a problem with prostitution. Had he said so openly and advocated decriminalization, I'd support him. But now? Not so much.

Perhaps the most interesting thing is that New York will soon have the first blind governor in the US, which I think is cool. He's also black but don't tell him...

No comments: