Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Obama Speech

Starts with Tennessee. So both Dem mentioned the disaster victims and none of the Republicans did. Maybe that says something?

He had two major themes, Unity and Change. He started out with "change is coming to America." Then he turned hard into unity. There's no red states or blue states, we are the United States. Unity unity unity.

We owe the American people a real choice. Also making essentially "I'll be a better candidate against the Republican" because essentially I'm more different (I didn't support the war, I didn't support torture, etc) and independent voters don't hate me. Including a slam! Woah, Hillary has "taken more lobbiest money than either Republican."

Ends up with a list of aspirational goals, and then his big wrapup. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. Wow great stuff. Began as a whisper became a hymn (alusions to I have a dream). And winds up with YES WE CAN.

Good speech, maybe a bit too long. He's just as good an orator as his reputation. And he's urging people to change. It's an empowering message. Hillary seemed like "I'm competent, I will fight for you." Obama seemed to be saying "WE need to fight together."

Utah came in for him during his speech as well, which made for a nice graphic.

No comments: