Monday, June 16, 2008

You Think Gas Is Expensive...

In the UK, petrol (gas) has hit 1.99 pounds per liter. That's the equivalent of $14.79 a gallon (note, ignore where the article says it's 9 pounds per gallon, that's the imperial gallon, which is 1.2 US gallons).

In other words, gas could be way WAY more expensive without making the economy collapse. What we need is MUCH better public transportation alternatives so that (like in the UK) gas could be more expensive without bankrupting us all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better public transportation, yes, but also a society of people that doesn't live so far from everyday destinations like work and the grocery store. I wonder what a comparison of how many miles the average American drives vs. the average Brit would look like.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, petrol is expensive, but my train ticket in the morning is £15.50 and my parking is £9, so it's pretty much a $50/day commute whether I drive or train it. But I can walk to my nearest grocery store at home, which is nice.

And I haven't seen £1.99 per litre yet. We're still hitting £1.15 on the south coast.